History of the Museum
The Museum building was built in 1851 by March Consolidated Charities as a girls' grammar school to be known as the South District Girls' School. It was one of two Carr stone buildings in the town designed by Messrs WG & E Habershon of London, the other being the almshouses in the Avenue, which were constructed at the same time.
the population of March grew, the School Board School, which replaced the
National School, quickly became overcrowded and the girls' school became an
annexe for both boys and girls from the Board School.